What Causes Osteoarthritis?
The Best orthopedic doctor in Ahmedabad calls osteoarthritis wear and tear disease. This is because it occurs due to joint damage. The damage can have a cumulative effect over time or age may put the joints under pressure. It is caused mostly by:
- Any past injury to joints.
- Joint malformation.
- Poor posture.
Furthermore, you are more likely to develop osteoarthritis, if you:
- Have a family history of the condition.
- Are more than 50 years of age.
- Have undergone menopause.
- Are a woman (women are more likely to have osteoarthritis than men).
- Are involved in an occupation that involves climbing, heavy lifting, or similar activities.
- Have a history of injury.
- Have a medical condition that affects your joint health.
What Are the Treatments of Osteoarthritis?
The Best orthopedic hospital in Ahmedabad will focus the treatment on managing symptoms. The doctor will prescribe certain medications, lifestyle changes, and home remedies to deal with pain, stiffness, and swelling in the joints.
Exercise and maintaining weight are crucial to managing the symptoms of osteoarthritis. Obesity or carrying extra weight increases the stress on joints, especially the knees and hips. Low impact exercise can enhance your endurance as well as strengthen the muscles around the joints.
The doctor will also encourage physical therapy or other occupational therapy to deal with joint pain. In the case of severe cases, joint replacement surgery will be recommended.