Common cases of Orthopedic surgeries, its types and treatments
Orthopaedic surgery is meant for the issues associated with the musculoskeletal system of the human body. The cases like injuries occurring due to sports, spinal injuries, accidental issues, etc. are moreover treated using the surgical methods; though the surgeons often recommend the non-surgical treatments at the initial stages.
Common cases of Orthopedic surgeries
Among the most commonly practised orthopaedic surgeries, the likes of knee surgeries, shoulder arthroscopy, knee decompression, shoulder decompression, etc. come on the top. Apart from these, the cases like removing the support implants, ligament correction, replacement of the knee, fractures at knees shoulders, etc are also quite practised.
Hip replacement surgeries are also quite performed in modern times. In all these above mentioned cases, the treatments are moreover based on the addressing the injuries at the musculoskeletal systems. The musculoskeletal system of the human body is mostly comprised of bones, joint parts, and the other soft tissues alongside.
Muscles or muscular systems those safeguard and let the smooth functioning of bones also do come under this. Apart from these, the ligaments connecting the bones and the tendons connecting the muscles with the bones also come under the musculoskeletal system. Injuries at or around these parts can be thoroughly treated through the orthopaedic surgeries.
The orthopaedic surgeries performed at the body parts like ankle, wrist, knees, etc. are generally the simpler cases of orthopaedic surgeries. On the other hand, the surgeries of the spine and knees are comparatively challenging in nature. Orthopaedic surgeries can be broadly divided into the following two types.
- Traditional orthopaedic surgeries, also known as open surgeries.
- It can also be performed arthroscopically, which is done mostly using an arthroscope.
Various Orthopedic surgery procedures
Orthopaedic surgery procedures often vary from one case to the other. It can be divided into the following types.
- Arthroscopy basedtreatments are mainly used for the issues appearing within the joint systems.The treatments are done through the arthroscope.
- Orthopaedic surgeriesinvolving soft tissue repair are mostly meant for the treatment of affectedligaments and tendons.
- Orthopaedic surgeriesinvolving joint replacement are the cases where the affected joints arereplaced with a prosthesis.
- Surgeries involvingreplacement of pre-existent implant with a fresh one is known as the revisionjoint orthopaedic surgeries.
- Orthopaedic surgeriesinvolving replacements through the metal plates are meant for the bone fracturetreatments; mostly issues associated with the internal fractures.
- Debridement is anOrthopedic surgery procedure followed for the removal of the damaged softtissues or the bones.
- Bone fusion is anOrthopedic surgery in which the bones are fused with the grafts.
- Similarly, Spinalfusion is the case where the vertebral bones are connected.
- Orthopaedic surgeriesthose are about the rectification of the bone deformities are known as theOsteotomy.
- Knee arthroscopy is aprocedure that is followed for the ligament reconstruction, knee replacement,etc.
Apart from the above mentioned basic procedures, there are various case-specific procedures followed as well for the treatment of the joints. For example, knee arthroscopy can be done using meniscectomy, chondroplasty, etc. Looking at the level of injuries, the surgeons recommend the treatment methods. In general, the emphasis is given towards the methods involving non-surgical procedures.