Learn about detailed Facts about Spine Surgery and when you may Require one
Are you facing inflammation in spinal cord for a long time, due to age-related issues? Or are you suffering from lower back pain due to an injury and accident and have tired of trying medicines? Well, in such condition, spine surgery is the only medically proven treatment that can help you get rid of this annoying pain permanently. However, before you set mind for spinal surgery and start looking for suitable hospitals, let’s have a look at the nitty-gritty of spine surgery, its cost, scope, and success rate in India.
Is surgery necessary for lower back pain?
In the early stage, medication and therapies like oral steroids, anti-inflammatory agents, and muscle relaxers are usually recommended to get relief from the lower back pain, attributable to cervical herniated disc. Moreover, physical therapies, acupuncture, massage, and chiropractic care are also provided to a patient with back pain or spinal pain as an alternative to surgery. But when such non-operative treatments and therapies fall short to alleviate long-term back pain, spine surgery is strongly suggested.
What points to consider when opting for spine surgery?
The decision about opting for a spine surgery firmly depends on the symptoms and severity of the back pain. Before finalizing the surgical procedure, doctors usually take some basic points like the intensity of pain, ability of the patient to perform daily activities, and the overall health condition of the patient into consideration and if it is really essential, then he/she gives the green signal for the surgery.
What are the types of back surgery?
There are three most common types of back surgery, and they are:
- Laminectomy: This surgical procedure involves the removal of the back part of the bone, known as the lamina, located over the spinal column.
- Diskectomy: This surgical procedure is conducted removing a fraction of a disc to alleviate stress on a nerve.
- Spinal Fusion: This involves the permanent synthesis of two or more backbone giving the spinal cord more stability or to rectifying a deformity or relieving back pain
What benefits can you enjoy after spine surgery?
While most people measure the benefits of spinal operation with the level of pain, actually, the result is much more than just a plunge in pain. Among other advantages, a patient can avail:
- Better moving and walking capability
- It makes the patient physically stronger than before
- Improves the quality and standard of life
- Makes the body more flexible and movable
- Make the spinal cord more stable
What are the risks associated with spine surgery?
Like any other surgical procedure, spine surgery also comes with several risks of complications and side-effects and most common of them are:
- Reaction to anesthesia and other medicines
- Uncontrollable bleeding
- Infection in surgical parts
- Blood clotting in legs and lungs
- Heart attack, stroke, and cardiovascular issues
- Herniated disk
- Damage to nerve
- Dizziness, weakness
- Sexual dysfunction
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
Nanavati Hospital, one of India’s best healthcare facilities, offers world-class, most state-of-the-art, and comprehensive treatment options to spinal issues like back pain and spinal inflammation.
Book an Appointment
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Mobile’ type=’text’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]